25 March 2017

Charleston, take II

Hello tennis fans!

Serena Williams, 2013

Tis the season for tennis returning to the US. Each year since I moved back to the US, I have taken in springtime tennis. With so many options you really can't go wrong, so I have mixed up my tennis travels for the past five years:

2013: Charleston
2014: Miami
2015: Indian Wells
2016: Miami (oops didn't blog!)

The beautiful green clay in Charleston
So....this year I decided to return to Charleston, home to the Volvo Car Open (previously known as the Family Circle Cup). I LOVED my time in this lovely city and wonderful tourney when I came here the first time in 2013.

Growing up, my mom always subscribed to Family Circle magazine so I remember regularly seeing ads for this tourney way back when. One of my earliest tennis memories was Jennifer Capriati reaching the final here at just 14 years old back in 1990 (vs the 'lege' Martina Navratilova).  For years the tourney was on Hilton Head but it's been held at Daniel Island since 2001.

I will be onsite the opening weekend for qualifying rounds, and then the first three days. Last time I was at this event I was credentialled media, but this time I am going as a fan with my mom so my experience will be totally different. I will post my thoughts and tips after I return.

One of the reasons I'm so keen to return to Charleston is because I am a huge supporter of women's tennis and I love how wonderfully this event has been supported for more than 40 years. Charleston is a great tennis playing city and there's great energy at the tournament.

So, follow my exploits in Charleston via twitter (@StephintheUS) and I'll post some thoughts once I return! I may do a periscope or two as well (I am also @StephintheUS there).

Bring on some fabulous women's tennis!

No comments:

Post a Comment