30 July 2015

Blast from the past: Williams Sisters newsletter circa 1999

Back in 1999, a pair of sisters who'd not yet won a slam decided no one was covering the sport in the way they thought it deserved, so the 'Tennis Monthly Recap" newsletter was born.

Venus and Serena Williams wanted more positive coverage of the game, off-court news and of course player interviews, so they wrote, published and distributed the newsletter. I believe it all started at the Aussie Open in 1999 where they handed out copies of the newsletter.

Naturally, this tennis addict subscribed and must have had a few issues sent by mail. Seriously, they paid for postage of this newsletter - it was a free subscription!

Last night while sorting through 25 years' worth of Tennis Magazine, Sports Illustrated and many newspaper clippings documenting my tennis addiction I found an issue of TMR. I've been tweeting lots of pics on my Twitter account here and there's so much more to come as I sort through some amazing tennis memorabilia.

I wish I could find more issues of Tennis Monthly Recap, but here's the March 1, 1999 issue which includes an interview with Tommy Haas and news that Patty Schnyder had joined up with Rainer Harnecker (Mr OJ to those of you who remember). My favorite part was "What's the 411?" when the lead item was that Serena won her first title in Paris on the same day Venus won Oklahoma City. I can't imagine what the locker room thought of this newsletter.

So, here's a scan of the 4-page newsletter. Enjoy! I sure hope I unbury another issue as this is amazing.






No comments:

Post a Comment