20 June 2013

Wednesday's action in Eastbourne

View of practice courts
I'm a day late, but I blame lack of wifi in my hotel room and being quite sunburnt. Yes, Eastbourne was very sunny and hot yesterday!

I luckily got the train out just as play was being delayed this morning by rain and it looked to be a pretty miserable day of matches with misty sludgy looking skies. Glad play was completed.

My third and final full day in Eastbourne was wonderful, despite my most anticipated match being cancelled when Marion Bartoli withdrew with an illness. So I didn't get to see Li Na play which was a bummer, but I had a front row seat on Court 1 for Sam Stosur vs Lucie Safarova, then later borrowed a mate's amazing front row at the net seat on Centre Court for Caroline Wozniacki vs Laura Robson.
Li Na in practice

Wow, being in the UK watching a British player was a new experience. I fully understand the Brit wish for tennis champions and I'm sure the support a home player gets has pros and cons but I felt quite bad for Laura. She's young, still a bit green but clearly talented and the crowd truly lived and breathed with each shot she made.  If Laura double faulted, or hit a wild error the crowd groans were just unreal. I can't imagine how much pressure she feels to do well when performing in front of them. It was a relatively tight battle 6-4 6-4, but Laura got broken in both sets at 4-4 and both games included at least one double fault.

Here are some other photos from Wednesday - I'm writing this blog from Essex and I'm enjoying a few days off before I head for Wimbledon next week. I'm hoping to do at least three days there depending on queueing.

VIew of court 2



Lucie Safarova

What a beautiful sky for Stosur vs Safarova

Lucie is pumped

Not Sam's day

Jamie Hampton

Fabio Fognini

Maria Kirilenko

Bernard Tomic

Yanina Wickmayer defeats Petra Kvitova

Caroline Wozniacki

Court 2 crammed with fans

Ekaterina Makarova

Laura Robson

Woz wins

Kerber loses, but still signs autographs

Thank you Eastbourne!


No comments:

Post a Comment