28 March 2013

Heading to Charleston


It's live tennis time!

My first memories of the Family Circle Cup are from 1990 - when Jennifer Capriati made the final as a 14- year old. Those were my very early days of tennis fandom, and now 23 years later I will make my own debut at this fantastic WTA tournament.

Since returning to the US a year ago, I've been overwhelmed by choice. Living again in a country which is home to so many tennis tournaments is like being a kid in a candy store.  I opted for Charleston over Miami for my springtime tourney as I'm a massive WTA fan and I have heard amazing things about Charleston as a visitor destination.

I'll be onsite all week, covering the tournament for Tennis Panorama News. The field is just slightly amazing!

The field is led by defending champ and world #1 and legend and my absolute favourite tennis player, Miss Serena Wiliams. And big sister Venus (who is sadly still nursing the back injury she got in Cincinnati last year) will also be present.

There's also 2011 champ Caroline Wozniacki, whose wildcard was announced today (tho her boyfriend spoiled that news days ago in an interview). Sam Stosur and Sara Errani, both French Open finalists, will also compete to make it four top 10 players. Not bad at all.

Some of the other players I'm very excited to see include the young crew such as Sloane Stephens, Laura Robson, Yulia Putintseva, Monica Puig and Garbine Muguruza. Plus old school favorites like Francesca Schiavone and Jelena Jankovic. It's a fantastic field.

I've only ever attended one WTA tourney, the ASB Classic in Auckland (which I went to five straight years) and I love the intimacy of the smaller tourneys. The Family Circle Cup has been around for 41 years, and from what I know the fans are fantastic and media are treated well.

So follow me as I write for and tweet for Tennis Panorama News and on my personal twitter account, @StephintheUS.

1 comment:

  1. There are uncountable fans of tennis around the world that are crazy
    watching live tennis.
    You have shared good information thanks for sharing this all pictures and information.

    ReplyDelete