22 August 2012

Friday QF day in Cincy

Venus Stosur
Cincy is over, but I'm behind. I think my brain got sunburnt last Friday at the Western and Southern Open and I haven't blogged since. Cincy was a wonderful tournament for practice watching, and seeing Venus Williams up close is always fun. I loved the crazy bold tights she rocked all tourney long, and with her super long hair she just looked amazing. Venus makes 32 look like 22!

Center court matches at so many tourneys end up a total bore, and today was no different. There weren't many highlights in Juan Martin Del Potro's win over Jeremy Chardy (why Muzz, why?)  and the match of the day for me was Venus vs Sam Stosur. Venus played in the Grandstand court for most of her matches, and today the crowd was massive for this match.

Even tho this was less than a week ago, I still remember how hot it was. And how tense! Venus served for the match in the second set against Stosur, and then lost a dreaded tiebreaker (what happened to her mental toughness in TBs? She's lost so many of them lately in big matches). After that match I had to leave - so hot, no water and dumb fans around me commenting that Venus just hits the ball with no idea where she's hitting it, and criticizing her serves. Live tennis is amazing, but I often want to muzzle fans around me. I watched the end of Venus' match in the media center, and nearly bit all my nails off as Venus was broken while serving for the match again in the third set. She nearly let Stosur back in AGAIN but closed it out 6-4 in the third set. A semifinal! First once since THAT semifinal at the US Open in 2010.

The evening session in Grandstand was rather sad. With Federer playing Fish in Center Court, the women had few people in the stands. And what we saw was Li Na clock top seed Agnieska Radwanska 6-1 6-1. Aga had some strange tape job on her shoulder and she was never in the match. LI Na's hitting was solid and Aga's serve horrible. The most interesting aspect of the match was Li Na's new coach! Carlos Rodriguez, he of Justine Henin and infamous illegal coaching fame. From my seat, I could see how tiny he looked. It was odd to see him come out to court after the first set for some on-court coaching. This one will take awhile to get used to.


Some more photos from the day:

Delpo FH

Venus BH

Li Na

Li Na and Carlos

Aga

Li Na face

Beautiful night in Cincy


No comments:

Post a Comment