The practice courts at the Australian Open are the best of any slam - very easy to see players quite close up. I saw Juan Monaco, Maria Sharapova, Jelena Dokic hitting with Shahar Peer, Petra Kvitova hitting with Zheng Jie, Marcos Bagdatis, Milos Raonic and Juan Carlos Ferrero - so many. That's the beauty of the first few days of a grand slam - everyone is around and pretty accessible.
I started day 1 with an Aussie - and what a great vibe on Margaret Court Arena for Casey Dellacqua and Bojana Jovanovski. The crowd was so pumped up and the stadium nearly full - I love hearing tennis fans cheering for one of their own.
Personally, I find it hard to commit to a match during the early days of a slam - there is so much to see and I truly bounced around from one match to another:
- Agnieska Radwanska vs Bethanie Mattek-Sands (saw the TB - crazy stuff. Bethanie was drop shotting Aga repeatedly and blasted so many winners).
- Julia Goerges vs Polona Hercog - Gools looked pretty good after illness affected her in Auckland.
- Sam Querrey vs Kenny De Schepper - had to go cheer on Sam as the stands were pretty empty. Good to see him get a win.
- Alexandr Dolgopolov vs Greg Jones - when I went into this match Dolgo was down two sets to love. He won in five sets - you're welcome.
- Roger Federer vs Alexandre Kurdryavtsev - Roger served big - Alex cracks the ball. Was some entertaining tennis for the most part.
- Caroline Wozniacki vs Anastasia Rodionova - Rodio had a few break points early on and from then it was some ugly tennis. Had to leave after 20 minutes.
|Shahar and Dokic practiced together|
|Masha Masha Masha!|
|Vera - in Fila!|
|Zheng Jie aka Jay Z|
|She looks a bit hot...|