28 October 2011

VENUS!! In Auckland!

Ah Elena..hard to believe we've been without you for a year
Wow what a fab week it's been for tennis in New Zealand. I'm doing work with Auckland Tennis and we held our first media conference this week for the 2012 ASB Classic. This tournament is so amazing and I've gone to the final for the past four years, watching Lindsay Davenport, Elena Dementieva, Yanina Wickmayer and Greta Arn win the titles. We get amazing players - this year we had Maria Sharapova (who lost in the QF to Arn), Svetlana Kuznetsova, Sabine Lisicki, Dinara Safina, Peng Shaui and Julia Goerges. Damn good lineup.

So, when I got to learn (a wee bit early) about who was coming to play next year, I FREAKED OUT!

Venus Williams
We shall 'meet' again!
What a dream come true and what a fantastic job by tournament director Richard Palmer who has managed to secure one of the biggest names in sport. Amazing.

Yes, some would say this was a risky signing given Venus awful year of injuries and her recent health issues, but with any player, big name or small, there's always a risk. But that's sport. It will be absolutely amazing to see Venus set foot onto the ASB Tennis Centre courts. 
As Social Media Manager, I'll be there for all the behind the scenes action: meeting the seeds, player function party, media conferences, etc. So, pretty likely I will get to meet Venus (and the other players yet to be named). I have joked that I'll need a sedative and I really will! I got emotional when I was simnply downloading a photo to use for our website (check it out www.asbclassic.co.nz) - just amazing to me that of all the players we could have playing in Auckland, we get one of my all-time favourites! It's surreal.

Please follow the ASB Classic on Facebook and Twitter - you can see the fruits of my labour!

No comments:

Post a Comment