15 September 2011

US Open recap - Wednesday August 31

Due to the weather, I missed the first three days of the US Open which was not awesome but when it was finally time to head to NYC all seemed right in the world. On my flight, my airline changed my requested seat to put a family together, so to compensate me for my hardship (ha!) I got seated in the nice, spacious seats and had live TV! So I got to see Christina McHale take out Marion Bartoli which was a great way to spend my flight to NYC and really get me ready for tennis.


After being stuck in a queue for nearly an hour at Laguardia (hint for the future - book a taxi!) I dropped my bags at my accommodation and raced to Flushing Meadows. It had been a long nine years since I had last set foot on the grounds of the US Open and it felt completely new. But at first sight I got tears in my eyes when I laid eyes again on Arthur Ashe Stadium. I made it - fan slam!

I raced to Louis Armstrong to see John Isner play Marcos Bagdatis as it was the most interesting matchup left since it was about 7 or 8pm when I arrived. I had to queue for ages though as I arrived late in the second set which ended up going to a long tiebreaker won by John 13-11. John would pull it out in four and I rushed around to see what else was going on along the grounds. I made it to see the last few games of Ana Ivanovic/Nenad Zimonjic's mixed doubles match (they lost). There, of course, was a decent crowd standing around to watch. Of the little I saw, of course Ana was being picked on and nearly every shot was hit to her! I was astounded to see in person how tiny Ana looks - eat a cheeseburger Ana!

So it was a short first day at the US Open, but with seven days ahead of me I wasn't worried about missing tennis. Little did I know what Mother Nature was going to throw our way!

No comments:

Post a Comment