21 September 2011

US Open recap: Sunday 4 September

How can it really be over? As I try and recap my time at the US Open this year, it's hitting me how amazing our sport is. Sitting in Arthur Ashe stadium with my mother, surrounded by people wearing various Rafa tshirts - what a day we had!

We cleared the gate right at 10am, and watched Serena and Caroline Wozniacki practicing side by side. It was a stinking hot day so we didn't linger for long, instead choosing to head to our seats in Arthur Ashe Stadium. The night before, I went on Stubhub and bought very overpriced tickets to see Rafa play David Nalbandian. I love both these players so much and I was thrilled to get our tickets to see the match. Mom was beyond excited to see Rafa - she is still beaming a few weeks later!

The last time I actually watched Rafa play a match live was the Aussie Open QF vs Ferrer and that didn't end well. As much as I love no-longer-fat Dave, I wanted this to be a strong match from Rafa. But he did his best to keep us stressing. He got down an early break and Dave's famous backhand was strong. Rafa just wasn't looking as sharp and Dave served for the first set. It was a tense time, but Rafa would break and then take that first set in a tiebreaker. I felt for Dave - he played well in the first set and after losing the tiebreak it looked like he was just going to go away as the second set seemed to go by in a flash. Rafa would take it 6-1 and I thought it might be a bit anticlimactic then especially when Rafa went up a break in the third. It seemed an afterthought now that Rafa would win.

But serving for the match at 5-3, Rafa got broken and Dave levelled things at to 5-5. After a tense service hold Dave stepped up and I thought we were heading for another TB. But Rafa played a solid return game, and poor Dave double faulted down match point. Vamos Rafa! The two players shared a lovely hug at the net which was sweet.

The crowd support for Rafa was pretty unreal to experience - I love how much the tennis world has embraced him and appreciated what he's brought to the game. 
video
 Love that they play "Welcome to the Jungle" when Rafa takes the court....

Next up was Andy Roddick vs Benny and this one was boring tho I like both players well enough. It was a very one-sided first set and I was so hot and sunkissed that I took a break.

Other than watching Rafa/Nalby, the highlight of the day was a major Tweetup! A group of us arranged to meet after Andy's match so it was a huge pleasure to meet @linzsports, @bobbychin, @kelynsoong, @ovafanboy and others. It's always so much fun to meet Tweeps and ramble on about tennis.

Ahhhh tennis fans!

No comments:

Post a Comment