02 September 2011

Live from the US Open

Hard to even know where to begin. It's been nine years since I last attended the US Open and I couldn't remember much from that last visit.

At that time, I'd only been to one Grand Slam, but as I got off the subway and walked toward the East Gate entrance into the Billie Jean King National Tennis Centre, I was achieving something amazing - the calendar 'fan slam'!

I got pretty emotional - not in a million years did I ever think I would ever attend all four in a year.

As soon as I landed into NYC on Wednesday night, I basically dumped my bags and headed to the tennis to make up for the three days I'd already missed! I was amazed how busy the grounds were - yeah tennis is certainly alive in the US!

I only watched a bit of Isner/Bagdatis before heading to my accommodation - it takes a lot of energy to be at the tennis day and night for many nights in a row so decided to conserve a bit.


Yesterday, Thursday was a stunner and I started with the battle of the Jelenas (Jankovic and Dokic). The Aussie was up a break but by the time I came over she's lost it, and it was clear why. The girl couldn't buy a serve - in one game alone she had four double faults! Was too painful to watch so headed out of there after 1/2 hour.

Then it was time to check out the men - chose Tipsy vs Petzschner which was entertaining enough, particularly watching Petzs bark at himself!
Tennis fans are the best bloody sports fans in the world! This was proven to me again when the lovely @anna_tennisfan let me use her Arthur Ashe ticket to watch Serena! It was, of course, a complete one-sided affair but I so enjoyed watching Serena hit with such patience and depth, and just clock her returns and serves. Amazing.
I kept up the WTA action for most of the rest of the day: Sveta and Vika. Didn't quite last all of Vika's match but have a full week left so need to conserve some energy!


I've uploaded heaps of pics on my Facebook page, so please visit here to check them out!

No comments:

Post a Comment