09 August 2011

30 Days of Tennis Challenge: Favourite Non Grand Slam tournament

Miami

The Lipton, the Sony Ericsson. Whatever the name, the Miami tournament has always been one I looked forward to each year. I've always loved the combined nature of the event, particularly since it falls nicely between Melbourne and Paris. The calibre of players who compete in Miami was always high even before the Masters series was created.

Andre and the Williams sisters have won the tourney six and eight times between them (Serena - 5, Venus - 3) so that could be a reason I have a great fondness for it, but also there have been some classic WTA matches during what I consider one of the best times for women's tennis: Venus vs Anna K- 1998 final,Venus vs Serena - 1999 final, Venus vs Capriati  - 2001 final (Venus saved I think seven match points in that match - was crazy).

Miami was always considered 'the fifth' slam but I know many feel Indian Wells has taken that crown. I don't agree.

No comments:

Post a Comment