28 July 2011

30 Days of tennis challenge: Favourite men's player

Rafael Nadal

When Andre Agassi retired in 2006, I had no idea which male player would fill the huge hole in my tennis heart. It would take some time before I would find out. 
I had some interest in Rafa when he was winning his first slams but during those years my tennis watching was pretty limited (flatsharing and crazy time differences will do that) so it wasn't really until 2008 that I really started to take notice. 
My mom actually loved Rafa before me - I wondered what was up with the scowl, the little habits, the three-quarter pants. Then I watched him play live, at the Aussie Open 2008 and I was hooked. The intensity, the movement, the amazing spin that creates jaw-dropping shots and angles. I became a full fledged fan and have never looked back. 

Runner up: Juan Martin del Potro

No comments:

Post a Comment