13 May 2011

Tennis lover's dream holiday

French Open
Queen's Club
Eastbourne
Wimbledon

Attending even one of these great tournaments was always a dream of mine, and I'm about to go to all four. I still can't get my head around it to be honest, but it is happening! In a week's time I'll head to the UK and thanks to the huge generosity of @appleaddicto I will be attending two days of the French Open. Seriously folks, tennis fans on Twitter are the bomb! I have a grounds pass for the first weekend and I can't wait to drink in the atmosphere of the French Open. 

I walked around the grounds back in 1998, the only other time I've been to Paris. At the time I'd only ever been to the Wimbledon Museum and grounds so I was stunned at how open things were at Stade Roland Garros. I was able to walk onto the outside courts (my first time standing on a clay tennis court) and could even walk into the stands of centre court. It was all surreal back then even though it was a few months before the actual tournament. To know I have a ticket to see matches there - wow.

As I live in New Zealand,  it's quite a journey to get to the UK/Europe so I'm making this trip very much worthwhile. I am lucky to have not only a brother in England but also heaps of friends around London and Paris so I can spend my money on tennis tickets and travel and not accommodation! So I'll also be going to Queens Club for a day and will go to at least one day of the Eastbourne WTA event. The only other smaller tournaments I've been to have been Fed Cup in the US and our lovely little Auckland tourneys so it will be great to see live grass court tennis on a smaller stage. The lineups at Queens Club Men's Singles and Eastbourne Women's Singles are superb. 

And Wimbledon....I've actually been to the museum and grounds 3 or 4 times. My tennis addiction has led me to tennis' Holy Grail nearly each time I've been in London in the past 15 years. But it's always been in spring and never during the actual tournament so this is going to be amazing. Apparently there are tours leading up to the tournament so a friend and I will be going to one of those and then will queue up for tickets for the first few days. Hoping to end up on Centre Court but will just have to wait and see.

I hope to blog and tweet (@stephinnz) regularly so watch this space!

No comments:

Post a Comment