19 March 2011

Smiles all around

Well, if yesterday all my tennis wishes went awry today I got them all!

Rafa got off to a bad start with Delpo with a lot of errors but he went on a tear to win five straight games to take the first set 6-4, and would win the second by the same score. I haven't seen the entire match yet (it's airing delayed here as we speak) but Rafa looked pretty Rafa-like for most of the match and his accuracy just outdid Delpo.

What can you say about Nole vs Roger? To be honest, I couldn't believe what I was seeing from 2-2 in the third set. As much as I don't much care for Fed, I hated watching him lose, what, 11 straight points? That was awful to watch - error after error. But all credit to Nole, he showed us why he's unbeaten in 2011 and though this match was pretty up and down I still reckon he's the favourite tomorrow.
I think my biggest smile of the tennis day was for these boys:
AFP PHOTO / GABRIEL BOUYS

Huge congrats to team bun, team ponytail, what have you. The title went to veteran Belgian Xavier Malisse and youngster Alexandr Dolgopolov from the Ukraine. This was Dolgo's first title of any kind on the ATP and it was a joy to watch him on the court - all smiles! Such joy on his face.

This was super cute too

AFP PHOTO / GABRIEL BOUYS
These boys had never played together before the tourney, and as Dolgo said during the ceremony, Xavier asked him to play together 10 minutes before the deadline. Not sure if that's really what happened but either way what a great way to finish the week.

And as much as I like Bethanie Mattek-Sands, I was damn happy to see Sania Mirza and Elena Vesnina take the women's title. I've always like Sania and she's had a rough go of it since her wrist injuries. And Elena was doing so well on the singles tour but has really been in bad form in 2011 (a mere 2-6 on tour).


AFP PHOTO / GABRIEL BOUYS

No comments:

Post a Comment